Friday, June 8, 2007

Tijuana - H1B Stamping Experience

I had a pleasant experience with my second H1B visa stamping in Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico on June 7th 2007. Me and my wife (H4-visa) drove down from Los Angeles, CA to the US border the same morning of my appointment and arrived at the border around 8AM. We parked the car behind the Jack in the Box restaurant for $5 per 8 hrs. The Jack in the Box address is 402 W SAN YSIDRO BLVD, San Ysidro, CA, 92173 721 E SAN YSIDRO BLVD, San Ysidro, CA, 92173 Ph: 619-428-4679. Look at the FAQ more info on getting there and parking info.

We walked from there to the border using the bridge. If you are not able to spot the entry to the bridge ask some officers for guidance. Visa is not mandatory as no one will check. We saved around 200 bucks by not getting the Mexico visa.

When you enter TJ, there will be a bunch of cab drivers waiting and they know you are there for your Visa. So depending upon where you want to go, either to Banamex or to the Consulate just let them know and they charge will $5 to take you there. Banamex is no more next to consulate like before in Tijuana. They moved few blocks away from the consulate. Click here for directions on how to go from Banamex to the Consulate. Also check my FAQ blog. One thing you have to keep in mind is that the entry for the Banamex is from the parking lot behind. You will see a lot of people standing over there in a line. They open at 9 AM and I had an appointment at 10AM. So I had enough time to catch up. Just mention to the bank officer that you are here for the visa and give them your passport and money. They will give you a receipt after they process it.

Now you can walk to the consulate. When you arrive at the consulate you will see a whole lot of people standing in the queue. Talk to the security guards and let them know that you are for your H1B visa stamping and then depending on your appointment time they might either let you in or will make you wait in the line.

They let me inside right away which was pretty cool. Just as soon as you enter the building there is a small window where they ask you for your appointment letter and passport. Here they will there give you a token number. So next is security check. They don’t allow any electronic items or big bags inside the consulate. So if you have stuff with you, just put those things in one bag and there are stores next to the consulate that hold your bags for $3.

After you pass the security, there was a man who asked me if I was for an H1B visa. I said yes. So he told me to ignore the token number as they are having some special line for H1B people, which was some real good news. He directed me to that special line where one Mexican lady checks the documents. She will make sure all information is correct. The bar code you print should be very clear otherwise she will have to re-enter it all over again. Check my FAQ on bar code information. Click here for list of documents you have to carry.

After this I was asked to go to a line for interview which was specifically meant for H1B applicants. Then the visa interview began. I gave him my Passport, DS-156 and DS-157. Then I was requested to provide I-797, I-129, LCA, pay stubs and work confirmation letter. Then he started to shoot some questions.

  1. What do u do in the company?
  2. What does that software do?
  3. How many employees does the company have?
  4. How long are you planning to stay in United states?
  5. How many programming languages do you know?
  6. How many languages do you speak?
  7. Where are you from in India?

For question number, 4 make sure you tell him the year mentioned on your I-797 expiry date. After these questions he told me that the visa is approved and should come back at 3PM same day to get the visa. He gave me a token which I need to show when I collect my passport.

I was out of the consulate by 10:15AM. So now we had to kill some time. I had researched before as to what places I should go and visit in Tijuana, to kill time. There are two places that we went to. Revolucion (Pronounced as revolution) and Plaza Rio. I have included some information about these places in my FAQ. We spent some nice time at these places.

Came back to collect my passport at 2:45 PM and found that they have already started to issue the visas. But I found out that my passport is not ready yet and they have some trouble with their computer and I will have to wait inside.

So we waited inside with few other people for around 45 minutes and one lady announced that the computer problem is not resolved yet and we might have to wait till 4:45PM and if that is still not resolved by then, we will have to come again the next day after 12 Noon. This worried me because it was not safe to leave my car at some parking lot at the border and moreover we didn’t know what to do that evening and where to stay. So I advise people to be prepared to stay till the next day as a worst situation and also if you go on Friday, you may get stuck there for the whole weekend.

Then I got lucky at 4:15 PM when our passports came ready with the visa. I verified my name and other details and left thanking them.

We came out of the consulate and took a cab back to the border for $6. He dropped us to the border and we saw a big line of people standing to go to the US. It took us around 40 minutes in the line to get to the immigration officer. The visa officer looked at the visa stamping and its validity. Without asking even a single question he let us in and there we arrived inside US without any problems. We walked to the parking lot and took our car back home.

Overall it was a pleasant experience. I recommend Tijuana for H1B visa stamping as it very easy.

Good Luck to you all for your visa and have safe trip.


47 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pretty informative...I have my appointment on 26th June and was little worried but after reading your blog feeling confident that its not that difficult.

Anonymous said...

Awesome Blog. Thanks Dude.

Anonymous said...

hey shridhar ur blog is really really awesome and very helpful to one and all.

thank u

Venkat C said...

Hi Shridhar,
This info helps a lot. I have my appointment on July 16.

Thanks
Venkat

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the info dude...I live in OC and am planning to go sometime in October....pretty cool....
regards
Saket

Anonymous said...

Jack in the Box address is:
721 E San Ysidro Blvd,
San Ysidro, CA
(619) 428-4679

Sridhar N said...

Thanks for correcting me with the address. I really appreciate.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Shridhar. This informtion really helps. I appreciate you posting your experience.

Anonymous said...

This is awesome! I am planning to schedule an appointment at Tijuana and this is very useful information. I'm surprised you risked getting into mexico without a visa, though!

Anonymous said...

I'd appreciate if you could answer one question.

I was trying to schedule an appointment at the visa consulate in Tijuana online and I saw that I can only see the dates in "September". It didn't have any option to schedule something for, say, "october". Can we schedule only one month ahead on this website?

Sridhar N said...

Hi PM,
You will have to wait for the dates to open up. Keep checking.
About Mexico visa, I did'nt see anyone checking for a visa to enter mexico. I thought it is worth the risk. It is upto you.

satheesh said...

hi. Nice blog sridhar..

I need to plan my H1b stamping.. I was on L1 visa and got transfered to H1b , Can I still take a appointment in Mexico ?.

Thanks
satheesh

Sridhar N said...

I was in F1 before and my first stamping was in Toronto. Tijuana was my second stamping. So if I can get H1 for the first time in Toronto, You should be able to get yours. Do more research. Good Luck.

Anonymous said...

Hello Sridhar,

This is my first time stamping and everyone scared a heck out of me. They all said that its not safe to go alone as I am a girl and they wanted me to be careful. Iam not sure If I can go to Taxi cab.. Can you please advise If Its OK .

Thanks
Radhika

Sridhar N said...

Hi Radhika,
Its not too bad. Don't worry much. Just be alert. From the border to Banamex it is not more than 10 minute drive. Once you reach Banamex you will find lot of other people and u can team up with them. People in mexico are not bad. Good Luck.

Anonymous said...

Hello Sridhar,

I took print outs of your blog and It has helped me a lot... This is the only thing which I had with me..Thanks a Tonnnn!!! I really reaaalllly appreciate your patience and efforts to putting the whole blog

I am going to India and I want to know If there is any other blog related to Kerala Ayurvedic centers... You can email me at radchaitu@gmail.com


Thanks once again
Radhika

Sridhar N said...

Radhika, Congratulations for your H1 Stamping.

Anonymous said...

Hi Sridhar,
The instructions in my appointment are not very clear on how to deposit money in BENAMEX. Should I just go to BENAMEX and tell them I want to deposit money for US Visa?

* Also am I supposed to carry my photographs or get them taken in Consulate (as it says in appointment letter for all applicants over age 7)?

-Vivek

Sridhar N said...

Hi Vivek,
When you reach BANAMEX early in the morning you will see a big line people waiting to pay money for the visa. when u enter the bank they will ask you what u are there for and dont worry much. Also u need to carry 2 photographs.

Unknown said...

Hey Shridhar, thanks for the info. A couple of questions -

1) How long does it take to walk from the Jack-in-the-box parking lot to across the border to get a cab? Just wanted to have a sense of the time involved.

2) To pay at the Banamex bank, do we need to carry cash or do they accept credit/debit cards?

Thanks in advance,
Appreciate U'r effort in giving so much info.

- Sandeep

Sridhar N said...

Sandeep, It takes 10 minutes from Jack in the box to the Cab and Carry cash, no credit cards.

S said...

Shridhar, Thanks for the reply.

- Sandeep

S said...

Hey Shridhar or for that matter anyone else who sees this question before Friday - I have my appt on Friday - the 28th. I see on most sites, it has been advised to book an appointment Monday thru Thursday. Any particular reason for this suggestion? Hope they didn't mess up and give me an appt on a holiday :). I presume not but any good explanation?

Sridhar N said...

Sometimes the consulate does not return the passport on the same day and will give the passport the next day. So if you have an appointment it is possible that u might get stuck in mexico for the weekend. So it is safe to get appointments between Monday and Thursday.

Anonymous said...

sridhar thx for the info. great job.

i went to Nogales,AZ a while back. i forgot to take enough cash and paid in sweat for it :-) few people speak english, had to buy calling card to call bank back here to increase ATM limit, the maximun demonination of calling card is not enough, by the time i explain the bank CS rep, the calling card i already over. :-)

one advise to all though, i saw couple of people there, had to stay in mexico for two weeks, until they get security clearance from Washington. Anyone who work in a company that makes defense products, need to be careful. You dont actually need to work on a defense product. You can be just doing html for a customer serice application of consumer products company like GE. Since GE also produces defense products(it can be a completely independent and different division), they classify anyone who works for GE as a person works on a job that needs a security clearance. be careful abt that.

Sridhar N said...

Hi S,
Thanks for leaving a comment. Your view is very valuable. I will update my FAQ so that people will be safe.
Many thanks for this tip.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I have appoint at 10am.
Will it be possible to create draft in the morning? or I need to make it in advance. If I need to make it advance, Does anyone know any agent who provide this facility.
Thanks in advance.

Regards,
KD

Sridhar N said...

Hi KD,
I had an appointment at 10. I could make it on time. So should you be.
Good Luck,
Sridhar

Kandarp said...

Thanks Sridhar...

Anonymous said...

Very informative blog...I have a quick question. When you go to mexico do u surrender ur I-94?

Thanks
Suman

Sridhar N said...

Hi Suman,
There is no one to collect I94 while you are crossing the border. So you wouldn't surrender but while coming back you would either need a new one or will have to keep the same one depending on the expiration date on your I-94. Hope this helps.
Thanks,
Sridhar

Anonymous said...

Hello Sridhar,
Its a very good informatin. I have to travel from bay area. I am planning to stay overnight near by to the border. Do you know any motels near by? It would be nice to add this info to your blog.

I have an appoitment at 9.30A.M and my wife has an appoitment at 10.00A.M. Can you tell me, usually how big the line will be? If we start at 6.00 or 7.00 A.M would be good enough?

Thanks in Advance.
Madhu

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sridhar N said...

Hi Madhu,
As I have not experience any Motels nearby I didn't write about it. Look up in Yahoo or Google maps. You will get an idea. I saw in Yahoo and shows that Gateway Inn is the nearest one. Anyway I will add this to my blog.

The bank opens at 9AM. The line wont be that big. But be there by 8:15 if u want to be the first few in the line. If you guys leave by 7:15 it should give u plenty of time to get there. Good Luck.

Anonymous said...

hi Sridhar,
i'm vinoda i have h1b visa approved
I797 in my hand.Right now im on H4 visa whcih expires on sep 30th 2008.my question is that can i go for H1B visa stamping now.im planning for Tijuana

kshida said...

This information is very very helpful. Hats off to your great service. God bless you,

Sridhar N said...

Hi Kshida,
Thanks for your comments. As this blog is a year old please let me know if you experience anything different other than mentioned in this blog.

Thanks,
Sridhar

Anonymous said...

My LCA is valid till Nov 2008 as per project duration. Will it create a problem as they may ask why it is only till Nov 2008 and then they can only issue visa till Nov 2008.

Please help me in this regard.

Sridhar N said...

Technically you should not have any problem but consult your attorney. If possible apply for renewal before you go visit. As I have never been into that situation I cant say anything for sure. Good Luck.

Unknown said...

Hi everyone:
This is kinda urgent!
I've an appointment on Wed, July 23rd 2008. The U.S. Department of State website is showing 25 days wait time for processing of Nonimmigrant visas at Tijuana consulate.
I was surprised to see that since I had heard that you get your stamped passport back the same afternoon.
Anybody been to Tijuana stamping recently? Please let me know what is the actual turnaround time?
Any help will be truly appreciated
Thanks in advance
Hrishi

Anonymous said...

Processing time doesnt mean Stamping time. Processing time is the time required for either new H1B application or H1B transfer. When you are going for stamping you already have H1B.

Unknown said...

Thanks for your help.
I had also called up Tijuana Consulate yesterday. They said, if visa stamp is granted, they'll return the passports same day afternoon. So, no sweat!!

Anonymous said...

thanks for posting your experience, the comment is very useful

Anonymous said...

Hi,

My wife and I had successful visa stamping in Tijuana. Also, my first visa stamping was NOT done in India which is my home country. Still they accepted my application.

Here are the details.

1) Draft in Minutes!
Appointment was at 9-30am. Reached Banamex bank at 8am. There was a long Q. However, the bank opened at 9 but all the 30 people waiting for the draft were cleared in 15 min. Bank staff are quick!!

2) Long wait times for Interview!
We entered into the consulate at 9-30am and interview started at 1-30pm. There are no dedicated consulate officer for H1B. No preference given to H1B. You will be treated like a mexican applicant and your token will be called along with the locals.

3) PIMS Needed
Tijuana Consulate is no longer giving the conformation of the PIMS verification. But YOU NEED TO SEND the email with appointment details and I797 details atleast 2-3 days prior to the appointment

4) Interview is not easy!!
Interview is not easy. Having said that, if you have all the documents to face it, you should not worry at all. Staff including the consular officers are friendly.

I already had H1B stamping in same consulate earlier. Mine is extension with the same company. I work full time and have almost all the docs to handle the interview.

Officer asked the marriage certificate. Asked few questions on our wedding.

Then Officer asked my employer letter, last year W2, last payslips. I get paid weekly and the employer letter stated the weekly salary. Surprisingly she calculated the annual salary using calculator based on the weekly salary mentioned in the employer letter. Then Officer compared it with the W2 Gross. It matched.

Then Officer checked something in the system for 3 min. Then asked if I did my master from US. I did if from other country. So finally said the golden words we need-'Your visa has been Approved'. Yeaaah!!

Then comes the disappointment- 'You need to collect the passport tomorrow at 3pm'. Since the interview was done at 1-30pm, they have
no time to stamp it at 3pm.

Tried to see if we can get the passport at 3pm on the same day when applicants on friday were in the queue to collect their passports. No Luck.

We were in the hotel near to the consulate.We collected the passport with visa next day:)

Normally the I-94 issuing office near the border in Tijuana has a long queue and you need to wait for 2 hrs to get I-94. This time there is NO queue!! :) Got I-94 in 10 min. We were in USA by 3-40pm

Interviews for the consultants are seems to be touch. Client letter, Contract between the employer and the client are MUST MUST!! Make sure you have right annual income on your W2 and no gap in your employment.

I love this consulate. Staff seems friendly. I hope this gives enough idea for those who want to go to Tijuana.

Good Luck!!

Anonymous said...

hi all
http://www.tor.com/community/users/jacbaystubeen1987
http://www.tor.com/community/users/hevwildverde1972
http://www.tor.com/community/users/westheiprotec1982
http://www.tor.com/community/users/tecaptazib1977
http://www.tor.com/community/users/onadinun1986

Anonymous said...

Loving the new design, great work. Do you think it will always be this way?

Anonymous said...

54368.....95782