Monday, March 1, 2010

H1B Stamping Experience

I got this update from Ram on Mar 01st, 2010 who emailed his recent experience in Tijuana about H1B Stamping. Here is his experience in his own words. This is a little different than most of the comments the experiences posted so far. Ram, thanks for your update and sharing your experience with others

Hi All,

I am Ram, here is m experience at Tijuana

I have attended for my H1-B visa renewal at Tijuana on 24rd Feb 2010.

My background
I work as a consultant. My H1-B company is an product based company and they also provide consulting services Their main nature of business is not consulting.
I applied for my H1-B 7th yr extension with the same employer in Jan 2010 in premium processing based on my approved I-140 and got extension for 3 yrs.
I had my prevous visa renewal for Tijuana.

Appointment at consulate was at 9:30AM. Had the interview around 2:00PM.

VO: Hi
ME: Hi Good Afternoon

VO: Is this a renewal with the same Employer ?
ME: Yes Sir

VO: Can I see your passport and I 797 ?
ME: Gave my I 797C and passport

VO:From how long you are been with this XXX company ?
ME: From MM/YYYY (I am with the same employer for past 6 yrs)

VO: What does your company do?
ME: Gave a brief explanation of my employer business

VO: Do you work at your employer location ?
ME: No, I work at the client location.

VO: Who is your client and whats the nature of the business ?
ME: Gave a brief explanation of my client business nature.

VO: Can I see your employment letter ?
ME: Gave employment letter and client letter (letter from my boss at my client location).

VO: Can I see your latest paystubs, W2's Tax returns ?
ME: Gave all the requested documents (6 months paystubs, 2yrs W2's and 2008 tax returns)

VO: What is your role and responsibility ?
ME: Gave a detailed explanation of my day to day activity.

VO: Where did you worked before you worked for this client ?
ME: Gave the details of my previous client and duration of work.

VO: How many employees does your company have ?
Me: XXX employees

VO: Where is your company located ?
ME: Gave the location details

VO: Do they have any other offices ?
ME: Yes Sir, and gave the other offices details

VO: What is your highest level of education ?
ME: Gave the details

VO: Where did you graduated from ?
ME: Gave the details (India)

VO: We need to do some further verification. Come back again tomorrow morning around 10:30 AM and gave me a white slip.
ME: I said thanks to the VO officer and left the consulate.

The white sheet has 221g, and under comments section he wrote Administrative Processing. The VO gave my passport back. He kept my employment, client letters, W2's, tax returns and paystubs.

Next day I went to the consulate around 10:00 AM and informed the security that I am asked to come today at 10:30 AM. He allowed me talk to the initial appointment checking counter, which is next to the security. The lady asked me if the VO officer send any email or called me to come. I said I was asked to come directly at 10:30 AM. The lady spoke to someone and allowed me inside.

I went through the security and informed another consulate associate about my 10:30 AM appointment. He took the 221g letter and asked me to take seat. After a while about 30 mins later, VO (Same guy who interviewed me the previous day) announced my name. I went to the VO counter and greeted him.

VO:Your visa is approved.
Me: Thank you

VO:Took my passport and gave other documents except I797 and small white slip which states to pick the passport on the next business day after 3:00 PM, but the VO strike out the next business and wrote TODAY with a pen. And he said since you are already here yesterday we will try our best to give your passport today evening if not you need to collect tomorrow.
ME: Thank you Sir.


I was out of the consulate by 12:15 PM. I went to the consulate again in the evening around 3:00PM to collect my passport. The lady at the counter searched for my passport and could not find it. I told her that I have attended for my second interview today. She said she will check with the back office and call me again. After 45 mins security guys announced my name to go to the visa pick up counter. The lady at the counter gave my passport. Checked all the information on my Visa and left the consulate.

At the CBP, I went to I-94 office and got my new I-94 and entered SanDiego.

After I came back to my client place, I spoke to my boss, He said he got a email questionnaire from Tijuana consulate on 24rd Feb 2010, the day I had my first interview.And he responded to the the email on the same day. I am not aware of what the questionnaire was about.


Thanks again Ram;)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good brief and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you as your information.

http://www.californialawyerspro.com/ said...

By the way, anybody know of agencies that can get F visas who you don't have to pay before? My friend had a really bad experience getting ripped off.

Anonymous said...

Remarkable! Its in fact awesome article, I have got much clear idea concerning from this
piece of writing.

Also visit my homepage - weight loss