Monday, September 7, 2009

H1B Stamping Experience

I got this update from Ajay on Sep 5th, 2009 who emailed me his recent experience in Tijuana about H1B Stamping. Here is his experience in his own words. Ajay, thanks for your update and sharing your experience with others

Just wanted to mention that I had a successful stamping in Tijuana yesterday and give you a overview of how things went.
My appointment was at 9:30 in the morning of September the 3rd, 2009. Parked the car at the border, took a taxi to the consulate. I reached the consulate at 8:30 - the rush at the consulate was mediocre, but started building up later in the day. I was able to get in for the security check at 9:30 and finally had the interview at around 12:30 or 1:00 in the afternoon. The interview was pretty straightforward - lasted for a about 4-5 mins i think. Will brief the questions asked...
me and VO: Pleasantaries exchanged.
VO: What visa are you applying for?
me: Renewal of my H1B visa.
VO: Where do you work and can i see an employee verification letter?
me: company xxx and hold the title xxx. Gave him employee letter and original appt letter.
(He crosschecks my annual salary too)
VO: What does you company do?
me: Briefly explained it.
VO: What are my main responsibilities, job description
me: explained what i do etc.
VO: You application has been approved - please come and collect your passport at 3:00 tommorow.
me: thank you.
I did send an email to consulate asking for PIMS verification and received a confirmation email from them. This was a couple of days before my appt. I heard that Tijuana consulate have stopped issues visas the same day. They are asking everyone to come the following business day. It could be becuase of the rush too i guess. But ppl going to get there visa stamped or renewed must be prepared to stay 1 day atleast. I stayed at Hotel Real Del Rio just behind the consulate. Its about 75$ a night. A nice hotel with courteous staff. Checked out TJ downtown Revolution that evening. Went to consulate in the morning to check out if they have started issuing the passports, but no luck, went back at 3:00 and collected my passport. Crosschecked my info on the visa stamp and took a taxi back to the border. Got my I-94 and headed back into US at about 6:00 or so in the evening.
This was my experience. Please use it to update your blog - if it is helpful to others.
Thanks
Ajay

Hope this helps.

15 comments:

Sundar said...

Hi Guys,

Thank you so much for this blog. It helped me lot to go to Tijuana for H1-B Stamping.

Unknown said...

Hi Guys,
I have already taken appointment for my H1B extension. I have 2 questions, My initial I 94 expired on 09/24, however I received my extension on 09/20. Can I still go for visa stamping?

which email address we can send details of 797 for PMIS verification?

Thanks,

volatile said...

Good information guys. Thanks much.
Quick Question) which email address should we use to send an email to the consulate for PIMS verification. Where can I find this email addresss. Thanks again.

Unknown said...

Do you know if we can only go to Tijuana if the prior stamping has been done in Tijuana?

In my case, last time i got my h1b stamped in Ottawa - can i get it stamped in tijuana this time?

thanks

volatile said...

No. You cannot go to Tijuana for stamping if your previous stamping has been done in any other place other than your home country or Tijuana. This is a new rule that Tijuana US consulate has introduced a month ago. Unfortunately , its not written anywhere. But please call them & confirm it. I have also posted my experience on the below link
http://www.immihelp.com/experience/view-22-visa_stamping_canada_mexico.html

Anonymous said...

HI BEST HOTEL SAME BLOCK FROM AMERICAN CONSULATE HOTEL REAL DEL RIO,,,,CONGRATULATIONS

Anonymous said...

Opulently I acquiesce in but I think the brief should have more info then it has.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Anonymous said...

I wish not concur on it. I regard as nice post. Specially the title attracted me to study the whole story.

Anonymous said...

Nice fill someone in on and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you on your information.

Anonymous said...

Well I agree but I dream the brief should secure more info then it has.

Anonymous said...

Hi
Very nice and intrestingss story.

Unknown said...

Hi Friends ,

This blog is very helpful.Actually i had been to Tijuana Mexico back
in 2007 . I had successful stamping .Now i am planning to go for the second time .

I would like to know more about PIMS .Could some one please send your Email ..I can talk to you to know more about recent exp.

Unknown said...

HI, I got an h1b visa stamping in my home country and it expires in august 2011. My h1b Status actually expires September 2012. Do i need to renew the visa? Can i do that in tijuana. My previews visa was in my home country. If I have to renew, Do i have to do it after my current visa expires?

Anonymous said...

can we go to Tijuana?? if the prior stamping has been done in Tijuana?

thanks